June 6, 2010

IN MEMORY

Memorial Day has passed and yet my mind is filled with thoughts of our brave men and women who have served our country. Some, I have had the privilege of knowing. Many family members and friends have served our country well and with honor.

All have made a great impression on me.

Whenever I see a member of our armed forces, I say a private prayer for them. I ask God to bless them and keep them safe. I include their families in my prayers.

I also say a prayer for the walking wounded. Those who are no longer in uniform and have returned to civilian life. I say walking wounded because many carry scars that one cannot see. Their minds and hearts are forever altered by what they have witnessed and endured in battle.

Most will not talk about their inner pain; they put on a happy face. But they never forget.................

I remember a good friend who was an extremely handsome, charming Irish-American. I remember his smile and wit. I also remember his broken heart and anguish at being one of the few survivors of his Marine battalion in battle overseas. He could not get the picture of his dead comrades out of his mind and always questioned why he survived. He survived in body but part of his heart and soul died in battle that day. It affected him his entire life.

We remember those who have passed away. We need to respect and honor those who have survived and yet that does not always happen in the reality of life. These brave men and women give so much to us. What do we give back?

While in the San Diego airport, a couple of weeks ago, I watched a young man in uniform hug his young wife and baby. I could not help but wonder if he was being shipped overseas as he boarded the flight that I was on. I wondered about his family
and hoped and prayed that he would return to them, healthy in mind, body and soul.

So many who serve, do not return whole...................

Remember the living as well as the dead..............Pray for those who keep us safe.......support their brave efforts. And when they return, help them in their adjustment to civilian life............

No comments: