September 16, 2010

THE WORLD HAS BEEN TOUCHED

A personal friend and co-worker of my son, George Michael, stopped by his home in California to spend some time with my daughter-in-law. While she was there, she wrote this poem in a short time as a tribute to my son. I would like to share it with you.

When you were born, the world smiled...

You made us laugh and gave us joy
with your keen sense of humor

You made us stronger because of the
strength you exemplified

You made us think beyond all possibilities
because you believed in us

You always "ROOTED FOR THE UNDERDOG", caring
so genuinely for others..You taught us compassion.

You made us better people by gently leading by example,
mirroring a kind heart and perseverance
for love and life

The world has been touched my you...

Your Spirit will remain in our hearts and
Your memory will always be with us.

I had planned to just publish this poem but numerous thoughts flew through my head. Memories. Mike's (George Michael) spirit has touched a number of people since his passing. They have shared happenings with me. I need time to filter what has been shared with me. On Saturday, there will be a Mass and celebration of life for Mike in our old hometown of Warwick, N. Y. A place that I often referred to as God's Country.

An old friend of Mike's wanted to do this for him. The Church service and tribute to his meaningful, short, painfilled life was in California and was a marvelous tribute to an outstanding young man. (nominated for outstanding citizen of the year three times).

I was touched that his long time friend, Mike Hazard, wanted to open up his home and arrange a Mass for those on the east coast who wanted to say farewell to a good friend. St. Stephens Church is the Church that had the most meaning to my son. It is almost as if Mike made his wishes known from the spirtual world as to how this is coming together. I will share a special event at St. Stephens that had an impact on my sons life at a later date.

Mike was born in St. Anthony's hospital in Warwick. That was an event as well. I did not want to go to the hospital until my husband could go with me. He was playing a baseball game that night and the guys rarely came home when the game was finished. They usually celebrated their win for a time.

My sister, left our home to hasten George (husband) to get home. I will leave it to your imagination as to how she did this. When George arrived home, he decided to make a thermos of coffee. He expected to wait at the hospital for the birth of Mike. As he had with our first child.

Mike was born approx. one half hour after we arrived at the hospital. When I mentioned that we cut that one close, George sheepishly pulled a baggy from his pocket. It contained a pair of sterile gloves and a clean shoestring that he had been carrying around with him in case he had to deliver our baby. No wonder, he was not concerned as he took his time making coffee.

I LOVED THAT MAN....................

The next morning, I realized that another friend had given birth to a baby girl as well. We started to socialize..................and then all of our mutual friends from the town started to show up. It was celebration time at the hospital...........until our Doctors stepped in. And limited the number of people who could come in.

When Becky wrote, THE WORLD HAS BEEN TOUCHED , she wrote what I have always known about Mike.

THANK YOU so much for giving so much comfort with your words. You captured who he was.

No comments: